Monday, March 23, 2009

Losing a Faithful Friend

Boss
May 1994 - August 2008

Although my time with Boss was relatively short, I loved him dearly. He was my friend, my companion and as I've said before he was always handy. As he got older he started to deteriorate. A working Border Collie that can no longer work, to me, is in misery. Boss enjoyed his retirement living in the house, warm and comfortable in his crate. Occasionally he got to sleep on my bed although that concept seemed to confuse him. He was not accustomed to sleeping on a people bed. He spent his days lounging in the sun, chewing old bones while lying on a dog bed in the living room. Always loving to rest his head on my knee with his muzzle wrapped in my hand.

I knew it was time to give 'Ole Boss the gift of being put out of his misery. I took him to see my vet Sharon who has a spot in her heart for him. I bawled with him in her office. There have been times when I have been to Sharon's and her clients have proceeded to tell me a story that they had heard from Sharon about a Border Collie patient of hers. I always listen to them tell me the same story knowing the story by heart. I smile at the end of the story and say "I know, that was my dog Boss". Anyone who has met Boss, and there are many, remember him. He was an unforgettable dog.

As Boss was being put to sleep, I held his muzzle in my hand. The vet seemed to want me to remove my hand but I was adamant that I was going to hold his muzzle in death just as I had held it countless times through our life together. In retrospect, I suppose she thought he was a biter and needed to have his mouth held shut rather than the gesture being one of comfort for him. As he passed, I shed a few tears and told him we would meet again one day. Boss was ready to be rid of his tired old body. He was anxious to be able to run and work sheep without the aches and pains he had in the physical realm and seemed to know that the time was very close for him to be able to do just that.

I buried Boss on the hill behind Louise’s house. I wanted to bury Boss in a place where he would be able to see sheep always. Louise walked with me up the hill and we stopped to survey the area. At that moment, a very spiritual thing happened. The sheep came in from the field and stopped. It was as though Boss’ spirit had brought the sheep in from the field one last time. From where Louise and I were standing on the side of the hill, we saw that Boss would be able to see the sheep and that spot became his final resting place. That evening, as I looked out the kitchen window, I realized that I could see, with absolute clarity, the spot where he was laid to rest. I will always say that Boss chose that spot for himself.

Rest in Peace Old Man, I miss you more than you may know.

No comments:

Post a Comment