Saturday, December 6, 2008

I wonder what the Sane People are doing?

Data, Dal and I then proceeded to the smaller field so I could have a go with Data. It was bitter cold out. Kate was watching from the warmth and comfort of the house. As Dal and I were walking in the wind, teeth chattering Dal asked, "I wonder what the sane people are doing?". To this day, I hear those words each time I go out in abominable weather to work a dog. As time ticks on, I realize more and more that one does have to be a little bit insane to endure this sport. The incredible high of even the minutest amount of success pushes me to endure further humiliation.

All I had ever done with a dog up to that point, was ask the dog to go around the sheep and, if by some miracle, the dog actually got there then I knew to ask the dog to lie down. So, that’s what I did with Data. The sheep were standing about 50 yards away. Dal had gone to hide somewhere so Data didn't see him and get confused. Dal had given me a two-way radio which I put in the breast pocket of my coat. I was there alone with Data, knowing that I was being watched by Dal. So, I sent Data to get the sheep and off he went. I can't recall whether I sent him to the right or the left, it really doesn't matter. Back then I had incredible difficulty remembering right from left. I still have difficulty remembering but it doesn't happen quite as often as it did then. I asked him to lie down when he was at the top and wonder of wonders, he lay down. I heard Dal on the other end of the radio sounding almost giddy. Apparently, Data didn’t lie down for him. If Data hadn't already had my heart at "hello", this certainly sealed my fate with Data.

Dal and I continued to work my other dogs. Strangely, Dal took a shine to Spike. Kate said it was because Dal loved a project. Maybe it was one of those flash in the pan moments of brilliance that spurred Dal on, who knows? In any case, Dal worked with Spike for quite some time. Nik remained true to form, doing his typical smash ‘em up gather which Dal didn’t much appreciate and ultimately Nik ended up being none to thrilled with Dal either. There is a story there, best left for around the campfire after a day of sheeping. If you ever happen across Dal though, do ask him about Nik.

No comments:

Post a Comment