Monday, December 8, 2008

Our First Trial


As it turned out, I didn't need to know how to turn the post at that trial.

As I walked to the post, the fact that I could remember my own name and my Dog's name was remarkable. My legs were rubber. My stomach was twisted in knots and my bladder was demanding attention. Today, I have a better handle on the knee-knocking and churning stomach but my bladder continues to haunt me. It is something that occurs often, comically, amongst handlers. Novices and pros alike all seem to have the need to relieve their bladders just prior to their run.

My hands shook as I removed Data's leash. My mind was reeling with questions, Do I take his leash off before I start walking to the post or once I get there? Where do I put the leash? What do I do with this stick in my hand? I have a tendency to over think and over analyze just about everything. I have since come up with an approach to the post that works for me. Helps me to manage the nervousness. I watch the runs before mine to make sure that Data knows where the sheep are, at least that's what I tell myself. In actuality, I think it is more for me than for him. I walk to the judge and introduce myself and my dog. I feel this is a good habit to get into since, occasionally, the judges don't have that information. I take off my dog's leash, lie him down and pat him as I watch for our sheep to come out. As they are coming out I get him to walk on my side, the side I intend to send him. Part way to the post I stop, lie him down, pat him again, then continue to the post. This exercise really helps me quell my nerves. Our first trial I just walked out to the post and sent my dog.

I earned my first set of letters at that trial DQ – disqualified, get off the field, you’re done – in judge speak ‘Thank you’. I am fortunate to have the video of that run. He bit them and I stood there like a lump wondering what to do. In competition, this behavior known as a grip, quite quickly earns you a DQ. My inexperience, my nerves and all the other factors I have mentioned, contributed to the fact that I, quite simply, didn’t tell Data to lie down. Ok, after the judge said ‘thank you’ I did.

I think, back then, if I had actually told Data to lie down, he probably would have.

1 comment: